Thursday 17 October 2013

Project Objective and Subjective

Objective: Alot of emphasis on the education setting. Teachers being harped on about not being standard enough due to failing test results from students etc. Students dmemonized by media, titled as rebellious, bad, etc. School setting a place of discipline and punishment.

Subjective:  Currently I am going through a rather debatable in my opinion but to others a discovery awareness type thing.  I never knew my father, my mother has always told me he was a bad person, then my aunt came and informed that he may not have been. Mind boggled, headcase, spun out.
My work is representative of two sides. Two faced bitches, double standards etc. This ties in with education because as a University student there is a lot of emphasis that Australia (Darwin particularly) needs more teachers as we are low on staff. The education department has been cutting down teachers based on a notion of student to teacher ratio to better staff the schools in area's more incremental.

Who the hell do I believe?

So by this I have created a two sided image. Focused on students one side where they are in their school uniform looking like typical good students the other side is the students self representation (What they look outside of school) dressed casually how they like. Typically how they dress seems to make people believe that they are just kids, rebellious and nothing good going on.

Why did I choose students? They seemed to be unfairly judged and this is how I feel with the new discovery of my father I have come across. My mum seems to focus entirely on his bad side and never spoke a word of his good side, this is unfairly judged to me.

Like the discipline and punish notion. I feel I have been entirely disciplined to never think a good thought on my father. To go out and seek him my mother is punishing me with guilt. On an education side students are being disciplined to follow rules codes of conduct etc and if they were to not follow this they are punished wether it be detention expulsion etc.

Therefore I drew on a student's arms a series of barbed wires sweeping along the length of her arm. I added the effect of holding a chain in reminiscence of how lady liberty holds a torch high for freedom etc the student holds the chain, devoid of freedom they are equal to. The use of the ribbon on her arm is an added effect of delicacy, a very innocent gesture.

The satin stained rusty tool fabric is a deeper meaning of staining a delicate item. Done in by chains cut form it's freedom.

Piece one - A4 cut photo onto A3 cardboard paper.
Piece two - 20cmx100cm Ivory satin fabric stained rusty chain
Piece three - A4 photograph onto A3 cardboard.

Each was installed onto a wall at 163cm height from the ground roughly my eye height. Stuck up using blue tack to hold in place.









The first piece was influenced by David Hockney and his 'Joiner" art technique. Where he cut the original image into smaller pieces than stuck them together again with a rather ambiguous or abstract look.

Influenced by Laurie Anderson to add the satin fabric of artwork into my piece. She is known in her work to add these to compliment her atmospheric feeling of the art wether it be a mood of brooding etc.

The final art piece is my own self technique of macro photoshop. Instead of photographing the whole person I specifically chose to photograph part of her arm that had the artwork drawn on, as well as the chains in her arms and the school uniform etc.

I was inspired to do a artwork that focused on the educational side of things and took to look at the prison perspective to form a relationship between the two on of which is discipline and punish.

No comments:

Post a Comment