Thursday 8 August 2013

Bill Viola

A contemporary video artist, whom uses electronic, sounds, and image technology in his New Media to show his expressions. Focusing on birth death and aspects of the consciousnesses claiming these to be the fundamental human experiences. The artworks seem rather confronting with the natural and raw human emotions displayed depending in different scenes. Particularly his "acceptance" work is at the beginning daunting, you see this outline of a human shape in a darkened shot but the body is kind of illuminated in an alien glow of some form. At first it looks like grains of sparkle sand are coming off the body, giving a fading withering look accompanied by the despair of emotion on the face but slowly as the body moves it is seen that water is cascading off the body. The camera changes it's direction slightly for a different angle. All in all it was a rather query experience. Not typically inclined to watch art of this form but it is interesting to see the different ways of how they have captured the human emotions through video art, and the sound? Like a soft waterfall gave it background noise that accompanied the image. Everything worked well together and nothing was in anyway at all outstanding or vibrant, more subtle with raw emotion complimented with visual effects and sound effects.

His use of adding sounds to his art could be an idea I could include in my artworks, for example if I were to go through with my vintage idea's I could research the sounds and melodies of the vintage era, such as violins and piano's are an excellent sound representation of vintage, and apply this to my artworks. Could conduct a whole slideshow of vintage images with piano's/violin's as a background noise to connect the theme together or complement the images.

The fact he has a focus of birth death and consciousness makes me wonder what my focus is/could/should be. I know I am interested in incorporating the idea of vintage but could my focus be something like every day house hold items? Candles? Cars? Gardens? Or could it be something simplistic like a general questions such as  "What goes boom?", "Culture", "Coffee, tea and books".

The current themes in Australia are Elections, Education and Foreign affairs. So no Bill does not engage with current Australian themes, but alas do I want to engage with Australian themes or go to a more globally spread theme which when you wonder what the current themes are ranges from different people in different settings. Some would say Global warming is a current theme, or third world countries, poverty, gangs, death etc. I think I want to narrow my theme to an Australian one, something to address to, maybe in terms of education seeing as I am studying to be a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment