Wednesday 7 August 2013

Brushwork

So I like to start with a blank canvas sometimes and then add brushes to create an image or artwork. Sometimes the blank canvas will be white or black because I like to keep it neutral at first and then add detail but selecting either vibrant or subtle colours. Or I work through stages of colour, such as beginning with primary colours, then secondary and depending if it needs more I'll had the tertiary colours. There's no set way I do any of this work I just begin , and play around with what look good, or dynamic, or exciting and awesome, shocking, I tend to like my artwork exhibit some form of emotion reaction from the viewer.
3

2

1

Final Product
The above images I forgot to save periodically as I worked through them. Basically I started with a dark blue water wave brush, followed by a green and then a red. Between these I added a purple and an aqua, I didn't want to have to many contrasting colours or bright yellow colours for it would create a stupid rainbow gradient type image and those are annoying and repetitive. The next phase of action I added some black lightning brushes along the top of the image to show the lightning striking down at the water. This created an image of action that the lightning thus caused the water reaction of waves. I chose black as a neutral colour again so I didn't apply to much differentiation. 
I was looking at applying a gradient over the image to see what effects it would or if it would create a better image. The first one was a black and white one which looked dull, I wanted a stand out colour. So there was either green and purple, orange and yellow and then three sorts of colour gradients. Doing the 3 different colour gradients didn't look to grand and rather kind of downgraded the initial image and gave a sense of confusion. Typically there are two elements used in this picture, lightning and water, so for it to look complimenting and effective to it's image I decided to stick with two colours to counter balance this. I chose orange and yellow because they aren't generally associated with water and lightning, and it gives it a rather shocking vibrant look.

No comments:

Post a Comment